The mission of BatconPakistan.Org is to conserve wildlife and their ecosystems through research and community engagement
Over the next five years, Batcon Pakistan will collaborate with local, regional, national, and multinational public and private partners to respond rapidly and effectively to bat conservation crises, with a focus on preventing the extinction and extirpation of threatened bats. The organization will adopt a proactive approach to curbing bat-borne zoonotic disease spillover events through engagement at all levels.
Batcon Pakistan’s updated vision and mission statement also includes the following goals:
- Educate key communities and the public about the importance of wildlife, particularly bats, in light of recent trends towards greater awareness of the importance of biodiversity conservation and the need to address zoonotic diseases.
- Identify, prioritize, and conserve Pakistan’s most significant wildlife areas in light of recent habitat loss and fragmentation trends.
- Respond strategically to broad, irreversible threats that impact wildlife, especially bats, across multiple locations in Pakistan, including habitat loss, climate change, and human-wildlife conflict.
- Build a global network of conservation biologists, NGOs, corporations, public agencies, local communities, and regional bat scientific networks to address global issues impacting bat species, such as the impacts of climate change on bat populations and the spread of bat-borne diseases.
- Create Pakistan’s first actionable bat inventory and conservation database to inform conservation efforts.
- Empower the next generation of wildlife, bat conservationists, and scientists, and stimulate research on the most pressing scientific questions relating to the lasting protection and value of all wildlife, especially bats.
- Develop educational and public policy frameworks to safeguard both bats and humans from bat-borne zoonotic diseases, in light of recent trends highlighting the importance of zoonotic disease prevention and control.